Monday 22 December 2008

The Tao of Tin 2



Bonsoir, content seekers. Tin Blott here, with some more handy advice for all of those who find themselves struggling in a multidimensional media landscape which suddenly seems like shifting sand beneath their feet. Hold fast!
I put out the call for reader's questions, and was literally flooded with two responses, to which I've set my formidable Tintellect a-thinking. The first is about the severe challenges faced by all the developed world's media, so it looks like it's going to be a three-pipe problem. Let's take a look at the second, though:

To: Tinny B
From: TwoStepsHack

Tin, love the blog, keep up the excellent work. Here's the thing: I've been working at a once-major media company for many years but suddenly the future has become incredibly unclear. An enormous paradigm shift was announced that immediately created a horrifically tense atmosphere in our workplace, but after that first big shock, there's been precious little clarification of what might happen and how it will impact on my career. Should I make the best of things and be part of this brave new future, or should I just walk away when I still have some last shred of dignity intact? Please pass along my very best to Mr Rumpus. Yours, TwoStepsHack

A dilemma indeed! But what it's vital to remember is that any future is uncertain. Tomorrow you could be hit be a bus, or some scaffolding, or an asteroid. So you must do what you think is best for yourself. It sounds a little selfish, but don't feel that you should put the needs of the company first – there are already lots of executives who are paid to do just that. Like me!

Do you have a question you'd like to put to Tin? Post it in the comments below and the king of content will tackle your query in a future post, possibly after implementing further incremental change in some areas


3 comments:

  1. Dear Tin,

    Would you like to hire one of my ghillies? I'm downsizing operations.

    Tally ho!

    MDH

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, MDH - who dug you up? Pray tell, auld chap, what fate has befallen you these lost years? And whatever happened to that bitter and wizened titian-haired sidekick of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, MDH! I've heard much about you. I regret that at this time our company is not in a position to take on any more staff, although a ghillie would be fairly useful round here - it's a right guddle.

    Toodle pip!

    Tin

    ReplyDelete