Wednesday 28 January 2009

The Rev Spooner's favourite group



Morning, content consumers. Tin Blott here, with another dispatch straight from the centre of my beautiful mind. I'm not sure how to best frame this post so will get right to it... does anyone else suffer from the occasional bout of indecision? Usually I settle on a course of action and stick to it, safe in the knowledge that my years of experience in the newsletter business will instinctively guide me down the right path. But in recent weeks, my inner lighthouse appears to have been doused. How to proceed in this darkest hour? I find myself thinking back to my days studying for a BA in Perpetual Profiteering at the Poltroonish Institute of Compassionless Management Practices in the very early 1980s, when Mr Rumpus would occasionally soothe my night terrors by singing this inspirational lullaby in his beautiful countertenor. 

You gotta speed it up
And then you gotta slow it down
'Cos if you believe that a love can hit the top
You gotta play around
And soon you will find that there comes a time
For making your mind up

You gotta turn it off
And then you gotta put it out
You gotta be sure that it's something 
Everybody's gonna talk about
Before you decide that the time's all right
For making your mind up

So let your indecision
Take you from behind
Trust your inner vision
Don't let others change your mind

Try to look as if you don't care less
But if you wanna see some more
Maybe the rules of the game will let you find 
The one you're looking for
And then you can show that you think you know
You're making your mind up

Whenever I think of this inspirational song, I find it almost as reinvigorating as Mr Rumpus's famous broth. Onwards and upwards!


5 comments:

  1. Tin - I have the same problem. I spent ages 'making my mind up' with the family whether I should leave a job which has become utterly soul destroying and where I am not at all valued - even though I have given years of loyal service. I made the decision to go - and then was told I couldn't! Luckily my bosses changed their minds again and fingers crossed, I should be on my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Don't watch that! Watch this! This is the heavy, heavy, handed beat from Madness.

    Madness, news madness, they call it madness
    Madness, news madness, they call it madness
    It's plain text to see
    That content is what it means to me
    Madness, madness, I call it gladness, ha-ha
    Madness, madness, they call it madness
    Madness, madness, I call it content

    I'm about to explain
    a-That the NUJ is on bended knee
    Hey, maddned hacks, I call it gladness, yee-ha-ha-ha

    Propaganda ministers
    Gannetts won't dive for you
    I've a-got a heavy due
    I'm gonna walk all over you

    'Cause
    Madness, madness, they call it madness
    Well if this is madness
    Then I know I'm filled with cash now

    It's gonna be rougher
    It's gonna be tougher, pa-da-da, pa-da-da
    And I won't be the one who's gonna suffer
    Oh no, I won't be the one who's gonna suffer
    You are gonna be the one, a-you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay pop pickers, let's get it on with some rock 'n' roll from those fabulous Motorhead Sisters. Not 'alf!

    You might be a financial wizard,
    With a sack of loot,
    All I see is a slimy lizard,
    With an expensive suit,
    Go on and run your corporation,
    Go on and kiss some ass,
    You might buy half of the nation,
    But you can't buy class.

    You bastards think it's funny,
    Lyin' and thieving all your life,
    Think all there is money,
    Got your future strapped up tight,
    Just 'Cos You Got The Power,
    That don't mean you got the right.

    You can take my fingers babe,
    You can take my eyes,
    You can take my past and future,
    It won't make you wise,
    You can have me thrown in jail,
    You can steal my booze,
    You can even read my mail,
    Step on my blue suede shoes.

    You bastards must be clever,
    Got it mapped out in black and white,
    But don't forget you'll never,
    Teach a dog to walk upright,
    Just 'Cos You Got The Power,
    That don't mean you got the right.

    Go on out make another deal,
    Feed your big fat face,
    Go on out and cop a feel,
    Get on somebody's case,
    You surely would be satisfied,
    If you could have it all,
    But time ain't on your side,
    You're going to the wall.

    You think that life's all dollars,
    Greed and lust and spite,
    But I wasn't born to follow,
    Like to get my sleep at night,
    Just 'Cos You Got The Power,
    That don't mean you got the right.


    Remind you of any untalented arse-kissing Blottite drones at Guantimmano Bay with half the experience, wit and wisdom you have but they've just interviewed you for your own job?

    Not 'alf!

    Flurrf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a shame that our own dear newsletters' web sites don't have 1/10 of the original compelling content of this wonderful blog Tin! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Tin

    Have you heard of the grand old Duke of York and his rebellious men ? He is in newsletter production too. I'm sure you too would get on famously.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/27/york-journalists-bid-to-leave-newsquest

    ReplyDelete